Thursday 6 November 2014

Idea For Front Left Panel A.R

Digipak Improvements
Original -

Improvements -

I have had to make minor changes throughout it, but the major changes that I had to chance was the front left cover (bottom right in the image above). I had difficulties getting the mosaic design in the same colour as everything else. 

I have been interested in trying to fit this design in my digipak, and I originally had the idea from a band called Autechre, and their album Exai. I was interested in the weird and interesting cover of their image, and I felt like I would like to add something like that to my digipak in some way. I then went on to see the cover for Policia's album , Shulamith. I found this to be very different, and the pixelated image really appealed to me and I felt intrigued by the design. Although I have been already set on the front cover for my design, I felt like I should add a design like this into my digipak. As someone who takes an interest in Joy Division, I have always found the album Unknown Pleasures to be one of the most significant album covers of all time. I really like the idea of having a small image placed onto a plain background. From these designs, I was able to come up with an idea for the one panel that I was struggling with, and I feel as though it suits the audience that I am aiming for this digipak to be aimed at as of the bands and images that it is related to.

Autechre, Exai -

Policia, Shulamith -

Joy Division, Unknown Pleasures -



I was able to create this, however I wasn't entirely happy with the way it looked when stretched for the square, so I had to make some alterations to it. 
This lead to my final design of the digipak and this panel being altered to be turn out like it has done below.








Final Digipak Design

4 comments:

  1. I really like your digipak Alex. The colour scheme is simple but different as we don't see many Digipaks that are blue in colour, because of the colour it would stand out on a CD stand and therefore would be eye catching for the target audience. I like that there is not much to it as I personally feel that digipaks with too much on them are not effective. The barcode and legal information look legitimate and very professional and every panel compliments the other and as a whole it works brilliantly together. Great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The minor changes with regarding Alex's Digipak and advert are simple but effective. In his digipak draft the 'off' blue coloured panel was used to specifically challenge the norm with regards to the indie genre. I believe the method of trial and error Alex used to see if he could make it work really enabled him to understand that simple aesthetics are appreciated by his target audience more than complexity.
    The QR code style pattern which replaced this panel in my opinion works, however with regards of improvement points I would suggest to change the sizing and positioning so that it was more 'off central' and smaller. I feel the blue colour palette used was a brave decision Alex made when designing his digipak, due to montone dark colours being more of what would be classed as indie when looking conventionally, however due to it being different I believe that its vibrant aesthetic will capture the attention of a range of audiences when on a shelf in the appropriate store.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alex,

    Digipak:

    The most obvious improvement is the final panel, on your draft it was a blank blue panel, the blue did not match the rest of the colour pallet. I did not like this; you developed this panel well by researching components you could add in the blank space, you created a unique image which fitted in the centre of that panel perfectly, this image adds a unique, different attraction to your digipak which fits the individual genre well. Another improvement i noticed is the binder, the binder of the digipak was originally white, this broke up the design of your digipak to much i felt, in the final design you had changed it to match your other panel, this made the design much more cohesive which worked much better. It also previously clashed with your image on the front cover which took attention off the image on the front cover, which wasn't working.

    One strength in your work which follows the conventions of digipaks is that you use a record label logo on the back panel of your digipak, this would work as a strong selling point for your product as it would be a recognizable brand which would gain audiences attention, increasing sales. You also include the legal content on the back cover which is a common component on the back cover of digipaks, this makes it more realistic and professional. Finally you also include the band name + the album title on the front cover, this is a convention which many other digipaks use, for example Kings of Leon - Youth & Young Manhood.

    From personal research i think you challenge the conventions of digipaks by adding the bands names to one of your inside panels, i feel you're challenging conventions as over my research i have never seen this. however, i feel this is a good idea as it almost gives recognition to the people who made the music for the audience.

    I feel your digipak is very simple, professional and authentic. It presents your target audience & genre well and don't think it would look out of place in a store.

    Hope this feedback is helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alex,

    Advertisement:

    I notice you have improved your final design by removing the iTunes store image you had on the draft, i feel this is an improvement as i don't think it fitted the colour and design of your advertisement. You have also improved your advertisement by changing the colour of the background, on your draft it seems (assuming its not the PC) that your draft background was not the same colour blue as your digipak background, it was a bit brighter. You improved the design by changing the colour to match your digipak, producing a cohesive two products, which followed a similar style and pattern.

    One strength of following conventions of real advertisement is that you include a web address at the bottom of the page, this is important as it identify to the audience where you can find further information on the product. I have seen this in various locations throughout my research, for example Metronomy, Kings of Leon etc. You have also included the name of the band + the album title, this is usually on most real advertisements as it is a very large selling points for these products.

    Overall i like this advertisement, it looks realistic, professional and I like your cohesive link between the advertisement & digipak.

    Hope this feedback helps.

    ReplyDelete